Title: GENERAL MANAGER – Dún na Sí Amenity and Heritage Park
Reporting to: Board of Directors, Midlands Amenity Park CLG
Located at: Dún na Sí Amenity and Heritage Park, Knockdomney, Moate, Co. Westmeath N37 P271
Working hours: 39-hour working week, with flexibility required regarding the actual timing of working hours, which may include occasional weekend work.
Commencement: September 2018
Contract term: to 31 December 2020, subject to 12 month probationary period. Renewable.
Remuneration: A competitive package will be negotiated with the successful applicant.
Dún na Sí Amenity and Heritage Park CLG aims to develop and manage an exemplary facility to become a top-tier local amenity serving the growing needs of families and also act as a tourist attraction through which to tell the story of Ireland’s ecology, heritage and culture to the world. The Park will serve the local community as a recreational destination where families can visit, walk and play together. We now are seeking a full time manager funded by Pobal’s Community Services Programme (CSP) to develop and manage the range of services to the local community and visitors alike. This social enterprise will strive to meet the needs of the greater Moate area and provide a much needed and sustainable range of services.
Purpose of the Role
- To lead all areas of strategic and operational management of the community services programme business based at Dún na Sí Amenity and Heritage Park.
- To assist the Board of Directors in growing the business substantially over the term of the contract.
- To ensure the highest standards of quality, safety and customer care in the facility.
- To ensure that the day-to-day operations maximise the financial returns to the company whilst at the same time satisfying the community needs and requirements.
- To ensure the effective and efficient implementation and operation of all the Company’s normal and emergency policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and implement an Operational Management Plan for Dún na Sí Amenity & Heritage Park;
- Manage and monitor the day-to-day operations of the facility;
- Develop and maintain clear and effective communications with stakeholders in the business, including directors, staff, volunteers, customers and the public;
- Manage operational staff to ensure the smooth running of the Park. This will include delegation of responsibilities and monitoring of performance, development of staffing rosters, balanced facility booking plans and usage strategies to ensure optimum efficiency of the facility;
- Market and promote the business cleverly and effectively,working closely with the marketing operative to meet visitor numbers and financial targets;
- Recruit and manage volunteer staff as required;
- Arrange and manage special events from time to time;
- Ensure all staff have appropriate training and personal protective equipment necessary to carry out their duties;
- Ensure adherence by the organisation to CSP and CE contractual terms and conditions;
- Meet with directors as required to discuss and review operational and strategic matters;
- Meet with staff regularly as necessary to motivate, delegate, and manage performance;
- Organise and engage with training as deemed relevant by the directors;
- Assist with recruitment as required;
- Manage procurement as delegated by the directors;
- Advise the Board of Directors on the strategic direction of the Park;
- Implement systems of financial control and maintain same;
- Develop, implement and monitor key operating policies relevant to this industry in conjunction with the Board of Directors;
- Maintain records of visitor numbers and feedback from same;
- Prepare and assist with grant applications;
- Provide appropriate financial information to the Board of Directors on an ongoing basis;
- Carry out other reasonable activities relevant to the management and operation of the facility as required by the Board.
Salary and Conditions
A competitive remuneration package, commensurate with skills and experience, will be negotiated with the successful candidate. This may involve a bonus element contingent on achieving agreed targets.
- The post will be based at Dún na Sí Amenity and Heritage Park, Knockdomney, Moate, Co. Westmeath.
- The normal working week will be 39 hours per week. As with most managerial positions, it is essential that the successful candidate is willing to be flexible as the post will include occasional requirements to work outside of normal business hours. Overtime will not be paid, but time off in lieu of excess hours worked may be negotiated.
- The successful candidate must provide his/her own transportation for any official travel and a clean driving licence is desired.
- Statutory annual leave arrangements shall apply.
- Essential attributes candidates must possess:
- Be a self-motivated, well-organised individual, demonstrating initiative, good judgment and a strong desire for success;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including a high level of ability to manage staff, deal with customers, liaise with peers and work with the directors;
- Willingness to work flexible hours;
- Knowledge of and ability to use common IT applications;
- Practical experience of financial systems, marketing and publicity;
- Ability to imagine and implement future development plans for the Parks;
- An excellent approach to customer care.
- Desirable Attributes:
- Demonstrable experience of successfully working in a managerial role, ideally in a tourist-oriented business with a voluntary board together with employed and volunteer workers;
- A third level qualification in Management, Community Development, Tourism or Rural Development;
- Experience in making successful grant applications and fundraising;
- Live within a reasonable travel distance from Moate;
- An ability to proactively engage with disadvantaged communities;
- Knowledge and understanding of all relevant legislation including health and safety legislation.
How to Apply:
Applications must be made by sending an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae with a covering letter by post to:
Dún na Sí Amenity and Heritage Park
All applications must be received by 5.00pm on Friday 3 August 2018